Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I'm thankful for my pancreas

I have homework to do tonight but I am trying really hard to procrastinate by making an overdue blog post....

This first semester of school has been AMAZING so far! I love school. My biostatistics course has been a breeze and my advanced physiology course has been overwhelming. I have read most of the textbook for physiology and have learned so much. I had to laugh when I realized this week's topic is the gastrointestinal tract, perfect for Thanksgiving week. I am thankful for pancreatic enzymes that will digest and neutralize partially digested chyme as it enters my small intestine about 3 hours after the feast. It seems that every week I learn something that totally amazes me. This week the random amazing fact was that oral glucose works faster that IV glucose. The hormone GIP is released when glucose enters the mouth and it stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin. With IV glucose, the glucose has to circulate until it directly comes in contact with the cells of the pancreas that secrete insulin, a slower process. WOW, how did I not already know that?

I have done very little related to sewing, quilting and crafts since school started. It hasn't helped that my quilting comrade Ashley has been on an assignment in Alaska for 42 days now. (She never asked if I was ok with her leaving for a few months but I've decided I'll still be her friend when she gets back anyway. I've missed her too much to hold a grudge.) I did however make it to one shop and the Las Vegas Quilter's display of the The Hoffman Challenge during the annual Shop Hop. I love shop hop but didn't buy a scrap of fabric this year... I wasn't sure what fabric was for anymore because there is so much dust on my Bernina. I didn't even make Halloween costumes this year, a first since giving birth 6 years ago. I did carve that vampire pumpkin to go with my vampire daughter so I'm still identifying as someone with a little bit of artistic ability.
I hope Thanksgiving finds you all healthy and surrounded by loved ones. I am so thankful for the amazing people in my life!

3 comments:

  1. And we are thankful for you! Glad to hear you are enjoying school and thank you for the interesting tidbit!

    Nic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...a post! I miss you! I'm glad you like school. I bet you are one busy gal. Riley looks so big. Interesting...I never knew that about glucose. Keep the info coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, I'm glad that you're still going to be my friend when I get back to Vegas. Maybe in January we should do a 'mini retreat' again so that we can get that dust of both of our Berninas!

    ReplyDelete